Friday 22 July 2011

Decorum

Did you come here expecting a self indulgent rant about the state of society? Then come on in! Take a seat. No, not like that! Sit up straight, hands in your lap and be quiet while I'm talking. Goodness, you people really have no manners, do you? Well actually, chances are that you're sat there silently as you read this anyway so I won't accuse you of being rude. The rest of the world, on the other hand, might as well sprout legs and take a running leap into the Sun itself. The following takes place between 18:47 and 19:47 on whatever date it was yesterday...

As it stands, I've more-or-less accepted that people are idiots. By that I mean, even though I don't see the resemblance other than the fact that I'm ginger, people (or "idiots") seem to be obsessed with comparing me to him what plays the ginger one in the Harry Potter movie franchise. Apparently the fact that I wear rectangular glasses, have a lack of facial hair and sound slightly more Scouse than my movie-making doppelgänger seems lost on people. They might as well approach me with 'Hey, has anyone ever told you that you're ginger?' Not only is this completely fucking pointless, but it gets even more excruciatingly boring with each mention.

For example: Imagine an elderly man in a wheelchair. Now let's see some sample conversation. Well, I say conversation... it's actually the words of Joe Public.
'Hi there. You know, has anyone ever told you you're old and immobile? Just thought you might like to know; wasn't sure if it'd been brought to your attention before.'

Naturally, living where I've lived, and where I currently happen to be residing in a limbo state right now, the folks have no decorum. If there is, in fact, a Pleasantness Fairy scattering her Peace, Love and Harmony Dust across the land, I can't help but shake the feeling she forgot about this place. Either that or she took one look at us and thought she wouldn't even bother wasting it on us for all the difference it wouldn't make. As I embarked a train with the sounds of an iPod deep in my ears, I happened to walk past and sit a few "sets-of-four-seats" away from a group of young females. You can imagine the type: Scouse, about fifteen years old but look like 10-year-olds trying to look like whores. I imagine myself as a better person to them for even though I bear such thoughts about them, I've not physically shouted them out in the public domain, in close proximity to them, speaking as if they're not actually there. They, however, did. Even though I had musics in my ears, the loudness of a typical dumbass will always overcome it. Of course, I had to mute the bloody thing to gauge the full extent (or rather limited range) of vocabulary that such idiots are able to use. You may think 'Why would you mute the music but still have earphones in to spy on what people are saying? That just makes you seem worried', but unless you've grown up where I've grown up and developed what I can only call "Harry Potter induced paranoia" over the last ten years then I'll probably answer you. Much to my surprise, my suspicions proved true as, at the moment of pause, miniature whore number two spake the words: 'He can't hear you, he's got earphones in'. This is not a good example of decorum.

For example: Imagine, once again, our elderly man in the wheelchair. He has a somewhat disfigured face and a hearing aid in each ear. Commence the words of whores.
'Heehee, look. Freaky old man. Urr, his face is all wrong. Oi! Freaky old man! Freaky old man? Hellooo? Oi! Heehee, freaky old man! Ey, freaky o- Oh, he can't hear us, he's deaf. Ah well, hellooo?! Freaky old man!!!'

I'd been contemplating whether or not to stop for Chinese food on the way home and the idiot whores had pretty much confirmed my decision. (By the way, sorry I keep referring to them as "idiots" and "whores", but in honour of the subject matter I'm choosing to lack creativity and force a limited vocabulary on myself. It's Hell.) My endeavours in a local Chinese takeaway didn't do much to boost my already flagging self esteem. After deciding upon my dinner of the evening, I waited patiently for my turn. In comes a couple and the Keeper of the Chips approaches them. In any normal, civilised situation, where manners and decorum exist, this couple would turn to me and say something along the lines of 'I'm sorry, this gentleman was here first'. Instead, I obviously forgot my whereabouts, being on that side of town (where it's even worse, if you can dare to put your brain through imagining) and instead the couple's response was a heavily Scouse-ified 'Eeerrrm yeah, twenty portions of chips, large, pleeeease, and eeerrrm a pie dinn-, no, three pie dinners, an' a can o' dietsss cokkhh, pleeeease.' (That wasn't actually what they ordered, but it's what I imagine they did because my brain was too busy saying 'bastards cut in front of me' *hypothetical shocked face*). Furthermore, the Chinese lady behind the counter went on to deny my existence by asking for orders from more people behind them. I'd suddenly become not just invisible, but non-existent.

For example: Imagine, again, the deaf elderly man in the wheelchair with his "freaky" face. The Chinese food merchant thinks on the job.

'Right, who am I going to serve next? Someone who's already here? Oh, no, what a freak old man he is. I don't want to serve him, he could infect me with weird-face or immobility or something... I WANT TO LIVE, DAMMIT! Oooh, people just through the door... "Can I take your order please?"'

After finally getting the food I wanted, I proceeded to power walk home, thinking things couldn't get any more preposterous. I noticed an annoying spot in my direct line of vision all of a sudden and went on to find that a fly had decided to land right on the right lens of my glasses. Even the flies have no manners here.


For example: Deaf elderly man, wheelchair, face falling off. Internal fly thoughts.

'Wizz-wizz-wizz, ooh I'm a fly. What a wonderful life it is for a fly. Gee, I could do with a rest. I think I'll go and land somewhere. Somewhere glassy and shiny, yes that'll do. I'm in the mood to land somewhere shiny. Hey, over there, that looks quite shiny. On that old guy's face. Looks like his eye, though. Nah, can't be his eye, it's halfway down his fuckin' face. Think I'll go and land on it.'

I intended to flick the fly away, but I'm not sure if it was a lack of accuracy or my outrage at the state of humanity itself, but landing on my glasses was the last thing that fly would ever do. My inaccurate flick resulted in it not being flicked away, but all of its internals being flicked across the lens, resulting in me having to waste more effort in wiping the damn thing clean.

Anyway, I ate the Chinese food, watched TV, stayed in bed all night and now I'm telling you here that I have much more respect, compassion and sympathy for abnormally-looking elderly gentlemen in wheelchairs.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete