Wednesday 5 October 2011

Grown-Up

October 5, 2011

Dear friend,
       It's been two weeks since my last one of these to you. I'm sorry. I really wanted to do one every Wednesday but missed last week's self-imposed deadline. I suppose normally that would mean I'd have an awful lot to write about now, but to be honest, I'm still struggling. I guess I can start with the basics, though, and see how it goes from there.
       The fact that I'm now writing to you means that I now have Internet access in my house. I'm so happy about this. It means I can watch things like Kleiner Hai on YouTube, look at naughty pictures (if I so wished), and type the starts of sentences into Google and see what the Auto-Fill suggests whenever I want from the comfort of my own room. It feels strange though, because I've been living in this house for two-and-a-half weeks without access to the Internet that I'm sort of used to it. I'm used to filling my time with making food and watching crappy daytime television. As I type, I have Masterchef Australia on in the background and it keeps distracting me from this every forty seconds or so.
       I've also been trying to read a lot more; in fact that's why this particular entry looks and sounds the way it does. I finished Stephen Chbosky's The Perks Of Being A Wallflower some eight hours ago - that was at 4 a.m. just before I went to sleep - and I still have it on the brain. I know it sounds cheesy to say that the book really speaks to me and I find it easy to relate to. So I won't say those things. Except I just did, so instead I'll just say I liked it and can understand certain things from within the story. Also, it's set in America in the early 1990s and since I was only two or three years old then, I had no concept of what America even was, so I guess I can't relate to it all that much. Apparently, they're also making it into a movie ready for next year starring that clever girl from Harry Potter, so I hope it turns out well.
       Some of my normal book-reading has been disrupted by University, unfortunately. Although, it's probably not unfortunate, it just feels that way because if I'm going to read, I'd rather read for pleasure than to read up about theories of concepts I barely understand. It just so happens that understanding those concepts are what will help me pass University and therefore they should be a priority. But those in-depth readings have made me tired and sleepy with too many words ending in "-ism" and "-ist" and "-ity" and "-ology" and it keeps making my brain hurt. By that logic, I also want to blame it for my stomach aches, intestinal whines and general bad feeling for the last few days, but I may have to put that down to eating possibly out-of-date food since Monday.
       Luckily, I have today and tomorrow to crack on with the work I need to do, but tomorrow I'd like to put something here again, breaking with the not-very-established tradition of posting on Wednesdays. It's purely a one-off though. It just so happens that tomorrow is National Poetry Day, and even though I'm not normally one to do poetry, the poetry tutor I had for half of last year is, in fact, the organiser or the director of National Poetry Day or something like that. Whatever her title or position is, she's pretty much in charge of it. So I'm inspired to at least do some poetry, even if it is only for one day of the year. And the theme is Games as far as I can remember, and I had an idea for what I could put in a poem a while ago when I first heard about this, but it's not complete so I suppose I'd need to finish that today if I'm to put it here tomorrow.
       I keep feeling like there's something I'm forgetting here, but I can't remember what it is. I guess that's the curse of forgetting stuff.
       Oh, I remember, that's it. I woke up this morning to an envelope by the front door. Turns out it's a water bill which we only have to pay as a one-off once a year, or once every six months or something like that, but split between myself and the people I'm house-sharing with, it's going to cost us about £60 each, which I'm sure I do have, but I only have a limited amount of money to last me for the rest of the year and I'm not entirely sure how much of it I actually have left. I've even resorted to signing up to Google's ad-revenue scheme for this blog and for my YouTube, in the vain hope that you actually exist and that you actually are reading this right now and that you form a small part of Internet traffic for this site, which could culminate in me getting paid about 14p for a year's worth of writing. In that case, I'm sorry if the sudden inclusion of adverts is distracting. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how the getting-paid-by-Google-for-doing-this actually works. All I know is that if there's a chance I can get extra pennies by doing one of these every week then I might as well not pass at the opportunity.
       I suppose that's pretty much it for this now. I need to go and check my bank balance, worry about paying the bill and make breakfast before sitting down and getting on with my studies. When did I suddenly become a grown-up?

Love always,
Jamie            

No comments:

Post a Comment