Wednesday 21 March 2012

A Bit Of A Mess

In the last week alone I've eaten more McDonald's cheeseburgers than I have done over the last decade. Four. I blame influencial students and close proximity to fast food outlets. But enough of that.

I was able to go outside yesterday in short sleeves and without the need for some kind of thermal hooded jacket for the first time in what feels like seven years. This might've been because of my recent hermit-like state in which I've spent endless consecutive days in the same room, let alone the same house, to get every last shred of work done. I swear, one day after taking a shower I leaned over to slightly open the bathroom window and was suddenly reminded of what fresh air was. Anyway, The last time I went outside the weather was practically Antarctic, so you can imagine my surprise when I stepped out into the blistering sun and, once again, allowed my mind to engage itself in the thought that comes around this time of year that the planet is slowly dying a boiling, melty, flooded death. Also hayfever's coming.

It's the time of year that the world of Academics flounders; in fact it's virtually common knowledge that the University year begins to end as soon as the sun shows up, thus allowing the citizens of the world to enjoy food and good company in the presence of others in the great outdoors. Huzzah! We can play outside again!

I know. This is very sporadic and a bit of a mess right now, but I've come fresh from several wheelbarrows full of making long reams of text link together in the hope that it makes some kind of sense to intellectuals to deem worthy enough of a grade of some decency at degree-level study. But back to the sun.

I got a ukulele last summer and barely touched it. I would even say I've barely looked at it if it weren't for the fact that it's been leaning against the wall for a few months that not viewing it every day has become impossible to do, like fridge noise and trees, they're always there but largely unnoticed. Anyway, pointless similarity aside, I've finally picked up the ukulele, attempted to tune it, feebly strummed out a dodgy sounding version of a Coldplay song for some reason, and left it to lean back against the wall, where it'll probably stay until this time next year, by which time it'll need tuning again and I won't be able to do anything with it because my mind's been so clogged up by assignment work around the same time.

I'm very sorry if you've decided to read this at all, but if you've made it this far you only have yourself to blame for having needlessly wasted your own time.  You really should've given up a long time ago. Somewhere around the word 'consecutive'.

Now go away. I'll do the same. Meet back here in seven days, and hopefully I won't be spouting as much crap by then. Or if I am, I'll at least have learned how to channel it somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment