Wednesday 29 February 2012

Rare Occurrences

The date is the 29th of February, but you knew that already; it's posted right at the top of this thing. Right up there, in the blue bit, above the white bit. This date is a significant date in that it only comes into existence every four years or so because the Earth position and movement in the grand vastness of space is weird like that. In return, people born on this date get to deal with the dilemma of lying to themselves most years when they try to celebrate their birthday on either the 28th of February or the 1st of March, yet deep down inside they feel neglected and insignificant and unimportant. No matter though, there's over seven billion of us, we're all insignificant and unimportant.

On a lighter (if more narcissistic) note, this lot of words apparently mark the 100th time I've put something here. That's right folks: it's the 100th-post-anniversary-super-happy-spectacular-phenomenon-o-rama! What's more is that this comes about as we approach March, which is exactly the month three years ago that this navy blue mess o' crap spawned into the matrix and started displaying words in this fashion. That means I've created approximately thirty-three or so rambles like this per annum, or to put it another way, that's a lot of time wasted when I could've been  poking a slug with a highlighter or shoving twigs into a postbox or singing to plants to encourage them to grow. I mean seriously, have you read any of the earlier things on this? I have, they're shite. Seriously, don't even bother looking at them. They'll take up far too much time and that violin ain't gonna learn itself. But I suppose that, considering I'm taking a course in how to write to a somewhat decent standard that's better than most, learning to write in a style that feels somewhat natural and comfortable and "finding my voice" has definitely come through on here. Then again, that's the way things go in my head. You don't have to agree with it, just accept the fact that I'm writing this and that's what I think.

Anyway, before I run off to find a party hat which I won't wear and pretend to get a cake of some kind, I need to decide on which birthday this thing should actually celebrate, no matter how mundane and pointless the celebration may be. Is this H.A.'s 3rd anniversary or milestone 100th? And in an amalgamation of multiple rare occurrences happening all at once such as this, I find myself facing a 29th of February-style birthday-related conundrum.

But fuck conundrums, this should be a happy occasion, not a philosophical study. So to mark the occasion of three infrequent events coming together, I've thrown in a fourth and redecorated the place a little bit. Yes, it still looks blue and white, but that top title bit doesn't look like it's been scribbled by a sherbet-stuffed 7-year-old with ADHD anymore. Slightly more pleasing on the eye, n'est-ce pas? Plus I got bored and wanted a wee change. Shut up! It's my blog and I can do what I want with it. Just be glad it's a rare and special occasion.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go outside and pretend there's a full solar eclipse happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment